What Are You Reading? Wednesday #1 - The ''It's Too Much'' Edition

Hello everyone and welcome to another post at Book Lady's Reviews! I decided to share what I' m currently reading with you today, using a feature I kept seeing a lot in the past, but could not find a link to the original creator of! I'm thinking about incorporating it into my weekly schedule, since I feel like it will give me a chance to talk about the books I'm reading, without necessarily posting a review afterwards. I try to write a review about every single book that I read, but when you're an avid reader, it can definitely get overwhelming. Especially when it comes to sequels or poetry books that I'm really fond of or academic related titles that I want to talk about, but have no idea whether someone will actually be interested in. Does that make sense? I hope to provide you guys with a look into my everyday reading by posting this feature at least once per week, while keeping track of my reading process and writing down my -mostly unfiltered- thoughts on the books I'm reading. Then, you can let me know which books you're interested in reading detailed reviews on and which ones don't really interest you that much. That would be a very helpful feedback, which will definitely provide me with some insight into what I can focus on, as a reviewer and blogger!

Make sure to let me know what you're currently reading and of course, what you plan on reading next! And, without further ado, these are the three books I'm kind of in the middle of reading at the moment!
*The Complete Encyclopedia of Butterflies By Wijbren Landman
Publication Date: January 2001
Genres: Non-Fiction

I've always been fascinated by butterflies and Veronica Speedwell -also known as one of my all time favorite series- kind of pushed me into this one. I remember myself reading animal encyclopedias when I was younger. I had a particular copy that I used to open up and stare at every single day. My favorites were koalas and bats, don't really know why. Add that to my love for animals in general and there you have it! Not much to say about this one, just that it's quite informative, but simple at the same time. It uses references that I'm personally familiar with and describes the life cycle of butterflies, caterpillars and moths in an interesting way that makes you want to keep reading and learning! The pictures used in this are quite clear and colorful, which allows the reader to get a small glimpse into the magic of caterpillars that turn into butterflies and repeat an endless cycle of life that is more than intriguing. Would you guys like a dedicated post on this one? I'm thinking about sharing what made an impression on me while reading it! Let me know what you'd think of that in the comments below!

*W.B.Yeats {Everyman's Poetry} Edited By John Kelly
Publication Date: 1997
Genres: Poetry

I haven't always been a fan of poetry. Believe it or not, I used to hate it back when I couldn't really grasp at the magnitude of words and the thousand symbols hidden between the lines. Basically, I didn't enjoy poetry because I couldn't understand it, which isn't the case anymore. This particular collection includes poems that reference myths and legends of Ireland I'm not really familiar with, which is why reading it has been more than a challenge. I do annotate poetry and spend a relative amount of time analyzing it, but Yeats' poems are kind of tough to deal with, since there's a lot of background information that, as a reader, you need to be aware of in order to fully understand them. For me, that is the point of poetry. Trying to understand a poem from my perspective, as well as the author's and trying to find every symbolism that might point to a specific point in time or a prevalent figure the poem refers to. The process of analyzing literature will never stop being fascinating for me, even though some people don't really understand it. I was also thinking about dedicating a series on poetry, where I'll basically choose lines from poems of a particular collection and analyse them with you guys. Thoughts on that?

*Death of Riley {Molly Murphy Mysteries #2} By Rhys Bowen
Publication Date: December 2003
Genres: Historical Fiction, Mystery

After reading Murphy's Law, I obviously had to get my hands on the sequel, which I'm annotating as well. It's quite time consuming, I'm not going to lie, but it's a process that I immensely enjoy and it keeps my mind working after -technically- graduating from University. I don't have anything else to stimulate my mind and keep me on edge when it comes to Literature and I really don't want to lose my spark, so annotating has become a way for me to practice everything I've learned, through recognizing references and analyzing events based on a book's setting, when it was written, what the might allude to and all that good stuff. I'm only focusing on the important parts that really leave a lasting impression when it comes to this particular series, mainly how women were perceived in America during the beginning of the 20th century, as well as how appealing the idea of the American Dream was to immigrants and people searching for something better than what they'd left behind. I also did some research on immigration before I started reading this series, just to have the basic knowledge on a topic that is prevalent throughout it.  

That was it for today's post guys! Make sure to let me know what you're currently reading and leave suggestions in the comments section!

Until the next post,


Comments