Elena Reviews A Re-read: Moon Called {Mercy Thompson #1} By Patricia Briggs

Title: Moon Called

{Mercy Thompson #1}

Author: Patricia Briggs

Publication Date: January 31st, 2006

Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal

First Read: 2013
Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. 

Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night.

 And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water... 


So, I already had a review of this up on Goodreads but, reading it now I'm like
''Did I really write that?''

So, I decided to start reviewing the books that I re-read because, why not?

If you've been following this blog for a while, you would have probably seen this series mentioned a couple of times. Mercedes Thompson is one of my favorite female characters and I actually read the first four books of the series before kind of, neglecting it. And I'm regretting that particular choice because this is one of my favorite series but, for some unknown reason, I wasn't as dedicated as I should've been. So, I decided to start from the beginning and unlike last time, actually reach the end!

Let me start the actual review by saying that, Patricia Briggs has such a captivating way of writing and describing scenes and people. She repeatedly manages to make you feel like you're living the adventure alongside every single character and believe me, you cannot possibly get enough of it!

After reading this series, I never actually managed to find one that came even close to it. Which might sound a bit exaggerated but, that's the truth. It had me so invested in it and it's like I was reading it for the first time! Even though I knew what would happen - not with every detail because my memory isn't that good - I found myself at the edge of my seat, gripping the book like my life depended on it and reading without stopping in order to see what would happen next. 

The characters themselves develop so much throughout the book and become even better than they already were in the first chapters. I love the way Mercy is portrayed, her independence and skills! She's definitely a kick-ass heroine that doesn't take crap from anybody and knows how to handle difficult situations like a pro. She has such a strong personality but at the same time, she's aware of, not only her limits, but also the limits of those around her. She's brave, she's loyal and she sincerely cares about those around her. Her character stands out and is completely unforgettable, which is very hard to come across in books!

I'm also, quite obviously, in love with Adam. He's so such a strict, Alpha male - well, he is technically the Alpha of a pack and a very powerful one at that - but at the same time, he's so gentle and caring under the surface. His relationship with Mercy isn't the most conventional but I love their back and forth moments. It's one of the best build-up romances and I just fell in love with them all over again!The secondary characters also play a very important part in this series, which is something that I enjoy very much. They make the story even more exciting and interesting to read!

Moon Called definitely set the bar very high for the rest of the books that come after it! It's probably one of the best beginnings/introductions to a series that I've ever read. It's action packed and full of suspense! You won't be able to put it down until you finish reading and realize that there aren't any more chapters left! The plot itself is very addictive, the world building magical and the story fast paced and full of twists and turns. It's completely unpredictable and will definitely have you hanging by each sentence, eager to find out what will happen next!
Until the next post,

Comments