Review - Shadows By Paula Weston

From Goodreads: 

Love. Nightmares. Angels. War. A fast-paced, compelling debut novel from a fresh new voice in YA.

It’s been almost a year since Gaby Winters was in the car crash that killed her twin brother, Jude. Her body has healed in the sunshine of Pandanus Beach, but her grief is raw and constant.

It doesn’t help that every night in her dreams she kills demons and other hell-spawn. And then Rafa comes to town. Not only does he look exactly like the guy who’s been appearing in Gaby’s dreams, he claims a history with her brother that makes no sense.

Gaby is forced to accept that what she thought she knew about herself and her life is only a shadow of the truth – and that the truth is more likely to be found in the shadows of her nightmares.

Who is Rafa? Who are the Rephaim? And most importantly – who can she trust?

Shadows is a book I've always wanted to read and now that I finally did,I can't help but feel disappointed.Mainly because it wasn't what I expected.Everything else was perfect,the writing,the plot and especially the characters.But as the adventure and action seeking reader I am,I was disappointed because there weren't many fight scenes.Silly right?Meaning that there was action and adventure but not many fight scenes to satisfy me...

I won't go in the process of explaining this book because seriously?So many things happened it was insane!And I'll probably spoil you so better not go there.I loved the author's writing and the book in general was so easy to read.I just kept reading and didn't realize that I actually finished it.And I loved the characters so so much!

Gaby was an amazing main character.She wasn't in a perfect condition since her twin brother was killed about a year ago.But she was strong,brave and didn't hesitate to risk her life to save her best friend.She's one of the strongest female characters and is quickly becoming one of my favorites!

Let's move on to Rafa.I just loved the guy.His was funny and perfect of Gaby.I have to admit that sometimes he was a big jerk but it was understandable.His fights with Gaby were so sweet even though they were fights.But what's a book without fights between the two main characters that deny their attraction for each other.The final chapters were just...OMG and now,and after finishing the book,I respect and love Rafa even more....

Just a quick word for the secondary characters.Maggie,Gaby's best friend was so sweet and caring.She wants to live life to the fullest and nothing is gonna stop her.Jason is her kinda boyfriend who hides a pretty serious secret that changes everything when it is revealed.He really cares for Maggie and wants to protect her.

I want to talk a bit about the Rephaim who don't like the term Nephilim because it's offending.Daniel was one of the most frustrating characters I've ever read about in a book.He was a jerk and so many other bad words.I hated him with a passion and I can't even understand why the old Gaby would fall in love with someone like him.Taya and Malachi were two more characters I hated in this book.Especially Taya.God I wanted to punch in the face and make her pay.I've never in my life felt so angry and frustrated.And their rules are just ridiculous.If I were one of them,I wouldn't tolerate being bossed around and...Ugh...even thinking about it makes me angry.

The world the author built was amazing and I loved reading about Gaby and her life.This was one of those books that made me want to keep reading because I was so anxious to see what would happen next.So fast paced and enjoyable!An original take on Nephilim,Angels and Demons.A book about a heroine trying to remember her past and decide her unknown future.A book about friendship,forgiveness and memories.Can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!


Comments