Don't Breathe A Word By Holly Cupala {REVIEW}

From Goodreads:

Joy Delamere is suffocating.

From asthma, from her parents, and from her boyfriend, Asher, who is smothering her from the inside out. She can take his cruel words, his tender words...until the night they go too far.

To escape, Joy sacrifices her suburban life to find the one who offered his help, a homeless boy called Creed. He introduces her to a world of fierce loyalty, to its rules of survival, and to love—-a world she won’t easily let go.

Set against the backdrop of the streets of Seattle, Holly Cupala’s power­ful new novel explores the subtleties of abuse, the secrets we keep, and the ways to redemption. But above all, it is an unflinching story about the extraordinary lengths one girl will go to discover her own strength.



I've been meaning to pick this book up for a while now but I had my doubts.I didn't know if I was gonna like it so I kept putting it off but...I had to read it.And I have to admit that,while reading it,I liked and enjoyed it more than I expected.It was a great read and I love Holly Cupala's writing.And as things got more and more interesting,I couldn't put the book down.But of course it was a quick read and it finished a bit too soon but,can't do anything about that.It was really easy to connect with the characters and fall in love with them,and the plot was just so realistic and touching!The events were just moving inside my head like a movie and I love it when that happens!

The main character,Joy went through so much and I understand why she did what she did.I would've done the same thing.She was really brave and strong and I loved the way she handled things in the end.She should've done it sooner but better late than never.I think the author did a great job describing Joy's life on the streets and it really got me thinking about those homeless teenagers and what they must have been through in their lives.Life one the streets is rough and impossible and the worst thing is that,there is no hope.And yes,if you really think about it you'll realized that there isn't.The end was a bit abrupt and really rushed but that way,the author made you believe that there is hope,somewhere.And that after all the difficulties and obstacles the characters face in their lives,they finally got something close to a happily ever after.And that's something...

Now let's talk about Creed.I loved him as a character but sometimes,I just felt like he was really cold and detached from the rest of the characters.And sometimes,it was like he wasn't ''there'' if you know what I mean.But if you put that aside,he was a great character who cared about his little family and they watched out for each other.May was not a character I liked but by the end of the book,that changed.Even though the choices she made made me hate her,she had to do it and in the end,she was just someone that life disappointed.Even though it seemed like she betrayed them in the end,she was loyal and did whatever she could to survive.Even though I really really liked Creed as the main character,Santos holds that special place in my heart Creed should've held.I loved his relationship with Joy,the things he did for her,his personality.He's become one of my favorite male characters.

Don't Breathe A Word was an easy and quick read I thoroughly enjoyed.If you haven't picked it up yet,well what are you waiting for?Of course I wish there were books about May and Santos as well.Explaining what happened to them after the end of Don't Breathe A Word and what they did with their lives.What they went through before.Because seriously?I think they both deserve their happily ever after as well after all they've been through...


 
 

Comments