Article 5 By Kristen Simmons {REVIEW}

From Goodreads:
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.


At first,I wasn't really that into the story but as I kept reading,I got more sucked into it.And I have to admit that I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did.The world the author created is so different compared to those of other dystopian worlds.While reading Article 5,the author made me care about the characters she created and feel disgust and rage and anger for all the unfair things that happened.I wanted to do something for the injustice and the awful things the government did to the people.I wanted to see the people do something because nobody should live like they did.Be controlled by a government that excuse me...doesn't give a shit.They were supposed to make things right after the war,not sentence everyone into a fate and a future like that.I mean,killing people for nothing?Are we serious?And having those ridiculously ridiculous rules?Come on.Something needs to be done.

Let's move on to the character development.And let's face it.At first,Ember was a bit naive and thought that they would actually spare her mother's life.But that's what made her keep going.And in the end,after what she had been through,she changed.It was inevitable.In the end she became a kick ass heroine with a purpose.She has information for the resistance and she escaped the base with one of the most amazing plans anyone has ever thought of.The end was just...it makes you realize how much Ember has changed and developed as a character.And Chase....Don't get me started on Chase because I'll never stop writing.Maybe some people might think of Chase as the usual dark,extremely handsome and mysterious bad boy...But wait.He kinda is.But I loved Chase and his relationship with Ember and I was always dying when something happened between them.Can't blame me though.

There were so many twists and turns that make you hold your breath and then sigh in relief.And they also make you think...How did they get out of that one?They always managed to get out of trouble but seriously?That scene with the crazy lady was just....crazy.People in this particular book die from starvation and that makes your realize how bad things actually are and that something has to be done.If you have read the book you'll know what i mean.It also makes you think about what must have happened to leave people living on the streets with nothing.

Article 5 was a great read and I really hope that I'll be able to read the sequel soon because well...we've gotta learn what happens!!




Comments